Senior DevOps Engineer
About Stellar Health:
Historically, US Healthcare has relied on a fee-for-service reimbursement system where providers are paid based on the quantity of patient visits and procedures, rather than the quality of health outcomes.
At Stellar Health, we help primary care providers put patient health first. Our platform - a mix of technology, people, and analytics - supports providers at the point of care, delivering real-time patient information, activating practice staff, and empowering providers and care teams with incentives that reward the work they are already doing to keep patients healthy. Using the Stellar App, our web-based, point-of-care tool; practices receive a simple checklist of recommended actions that support the best quality care. Providers and care teams are then paid monthly for each action they complete, and Payors save money in reduced healthcare costs along the way.
Stellar is a US-based Health-tech backed by Top VCs (General Atlantic, Point72, & Primary Venture Partners) with an established product & proven operating model. We’ve shown that we make a real difference for physician practices and their patients.
DevOps at Stellar Health is in charge of supporting an increasingly diverse infrastructure setup, and support systems built by an increasing number of engineers.
The original system was rather simplistic - a Django Application on top of Postgres, with a cron-driven ETL ingestion pipeline. While we have evolved this incrementally since to support customer growth (added Redis for caching, Celery for tasks, Elastic Search to serve certain jobs, a Postgres read replica to scale out some of the growth), due to increased customer growth we are now at the cusp of building the next generation of systems and infrastructure.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you will work with our DevOps Lead and other DevOps Engineers to guide the engineering team through this infrastructure evolution and be responsible for its scalability, monitoring, and general good performance and reliability.
As we transition to more complex usage of servers, we expect your team to be able to not only be a stakeholder in informing teams’ systems design but also a partner to the engineering team when it comes to release management, CI/CD, build cop and on-call rotations.
Originally, our systems diagram looked like this
Systems / infrastructure setup and deployment
- Manage application deployment infrastructure across Aptible and AWS/GCP. Our ETL’ing infrastructure, queueing, and application serving infrastructure are growing. Your responsibility is to ensure that it is set up in a HIPAA compliant, scalable, and resilient way.
- Migrate, set up and own new cloud deployments on AWS or GCP in a HIPAA compliant way. Ensure that engineering is set up to deploy new services on AWS in a safe manner.
- Deploy and set up internal services (Redis, Elastic Search, Postgres) to match engineering business needs. Work together with engineering to coordinate upgrades of these systems to newer versions, scale, etc. Be responsible for the uptime of these services.
- Evolve our logging, monitoring, and alerting - and drive a best in class engineering On Call rotation that allows us to ensure high availability of our production systems.
- Manage roles, responsibilities, and access to engineering services. AWS, Aptible, application, DB, grafana, Github - all need managed roles and responsibilities for the engineering team.
Developer productivity tools
- Evolve our release process to make it easy for engineering to deploy and roll back releases. Help the engineering team move to a daily release cycle through speedy and automated deployments and rollbacks.
- Support the engineering organization through setting up our testing infrastructure in a way that allows for faster deployments.
- 5+ years of experience in a hands-on DevOps, Site Reliability (SRE), or Platform Engineering role.
- Work experience managing compliant infrastructure is a must.
- Working with Aptible, or modern AWS/GCP. We are a startup and the kinds of infrastructure startups have is significantly different from big companies.
- Experience with Terraform, Ansible, or other configuration management tools.
- Experience with a modern programming language (Python, JS, Go, etc).
- Experience with observability tools such as Datadog, NewRelic, Prometheus, Grafana, or similar.
- Familiarity with one or more CI/CD platforms (CircleCI, GitHub Actions, Jenkins, etc).
At Stellar, we believe in transparency and we do our best to make sure the company and our candidates are on the same page as it relates to compensation. In addition to posting salary ranges for our open roles, candidates should expect to be asked about compensation expectations and requirements early on in their interview process. Our goal is to highlight when expectations and Steller's salary range may be out of sync, and work with the candidate to determine whether it makes sense to continue conversations.
Where a new hire falls within this range will be based on their individual skills and experience, and how these competencies compare across other employees in the same role. Stellar's bands are designed to allow for individual compensation growth within the role. As such, new hires typically start at the lower end of the range. Stellar rewards performance and outcomes - should you join the company, you will have the opportunity to grow your salary over time.
- The base salary range for a Senior DevOps Engineer l is $175,000 - $215,000 and will be eligible equity and an annual performance based bonus.
- The base salary range for a Senior DevOps Engineer ll is $200,000 - $240,000 and will be eligible for equity and an annual performance based bonus.
Stellar reserves the right to change our compensation bands at any time.
Perks & Benefits:
Stellar offers a carefully curated selection of wellness benefits and perks to our employees:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Unlimited PTO (and ask our recruiting team about the ways we make sure employees are actually taking PTO)
- Universal Paid Family Leave, with up to 21 weeks of fully paid leave available to new parents and caregivers
- Company sponsored One Medical memberships and Citibike memberships
- Medical Travel Benefits
- A monthly wellness stipend that gives employees the freedom to choose where they spend their cash, whether it be on wellness, pet care, childcare, WFH items, or charitable donations
- Stock Options & a 401k matching program
- Career development opportunities like Manager Training, coaching, and an internal mobility program
- A broad calendar of company sponsored social events that for our in-office and remote employees
Diversity is the key to our success. Stellar Health is an equal opportunity employer and we are open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
We believe that diverse teams -and the different identities, cultures, and life experiences our team members bring to the table- enable us to create amazing products, find creative solutions to interesting problems, and build an inclusive working environment.
At Stellar Health, your privacy and security as a job seeker is a priority no matter where you are in the interview process. As recruiting scams have become more prevalent, please take note of the following practices to ensure the legitimacy of any interaction with our team.
- Please note that any communication from our recruiters and hiring managers at Stellar Health about a job opportunity will only be made by a Stellar Health employee with an @stellar.health email address.
- Stellar Health does not utilize third-party agencies for recruitment services and does not conduct text message or chat-based interviews. Any other email addresses, agencies, or forums may be phishing scams designed to obtain your personal information.
- We will not ask you to provide personal or financial information, including, but not limited to, your social security number, online account passwords, credit card numbers, passport information, and other related banking information until we begin onboarding activities, which will be coordinated by a member of the Stellar Health People Ops Team with an @stellar.health email address.
If you are ever unsure whether you are in contact with a legitimate Stellar Health teammate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you believe you've been a victim of a phishing attack, please mark the communication as “spam” and immediately report it by contacting the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.