Medical Billing Associate
Hazel partners with schools and families to provide physical and mental virtual health care that helps students feel better and get back to learning. As telehealth becomes more and more relevant in the lives of children, Hazel is experiencing tremendous company growth. Our innovative response to our nation’s call for equitable, affordable, and safe virtual access to healthcare has been recognized by Fast Company as “one of the world’s most innovative places to work” in 2023.
Helping students and their families feel better takes a team of smart, dedicated people. As an integral member of the Hazel team, you will…
- Make an Impact: Work with a team that is increasing Next> equitable access to quality healthcare experiences for students and their families
- Enable Scale: Work with a team that is building and professionalizing a high-growth high impact social enterprise
- Feel Valued: Work with a team that is being compensated competitively, developed professionally, and celebrated frequently for making a meaningful difference
At Hazel Health, we believe talent is everywhere, and so is opportunity. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Dallas, we have embraced working remotely throughout the United States.
While some roles may require proximity to our San Francisco or Dallas offices, remote roles can sit in any of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, ME, MD, MA, MI, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VT, VA, WA and WI. Please only apply if you live and work full-time in one of the states listed above or plan to relocate to one of these states before starting your employment with Hazel. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
The Role: The Medical Billing Associate will support various functions of the Hazel Revenue Operations team, including securing real-time insurance benefits eligibility and coverage information for patients, following up on rejected/outstanding claims, and collaborating with third-party partners on data and clarification requests.
Role title: Medical Billing Associate
What You’ll Bring:
- Verifies detailed insurance benefits, medical necessity, and authorization/referral guidelines, consistently prioritizing and following the established verification process
- Read and interpret insurance Explanations of Benefits (EOB)/Remittance Advice (RA) with understanding and take appropriate steps to resolve issues.
- Verify all information obtained is correctly documented in the patient's account, in the correct format.
- Communicate with insurance providers via phone and electronically via web portals to validate patient benefits, check authorization requirements, and review authorization status.
- Review regular data feeds from third party billing partner and research patient insurance coverage and billing status using internal and external tools.
- Create and utilize spreadsheets and other tools to track visit statuses and contracting/credentialing data.
- Ensures compliance with all Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned within the scope of responsibility, including supporting other functions and teams within Revenue Operations.
What excites us:
- Passionate for our mission to transform healthcare for all children
- 2+ years experience in insurance verification with experience in Medicaid, Managed Medicaid and commercial payers across multiple states. Experience with California and Florida Medicaid strongly preferred.
- 1+ years or more experience with Google Suites (google sheets, google docs)
- 1+ years experience with Change Healthcare or other online eligibility healthcare tools
- 1+ years experience with claims adjudication/follow-up
- Experience navigating state Medicaid, Managed Medicaid, and commercial insurance portals
- Highly detail-oriented and comfortable with insurance, claims, and other data sources
- Ability to understand how job performance affects the outcomes of key performance indicators such as billing rates, denials, and write-offs.
- Self-motivated with excellent decision making and time management skills
- Ability to meet remote work expectations, including but not limited to active participation in virtual meetings and real-time communication via Slack
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, especially in a virtual work environment.
- 2+ years / Associate Degree, preferred
The compensation range for this role is $22.00-$26.00/hour with a 401k match, healthcare coverage, paid time off, and a broad range of other benefits.
We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. Hazel Health values the minds, experiences, and perspectives of people from all walks of life. We are proud to value diversity and be an equal-opportunity employer. Qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment in accordance with the Fair Hiring laws.