Head of Finance
Head of Finance
Care+Wear is a fast-paced startup located in the heart of NYC working to ensure each person feels like themselves in the hospital. We were founded in 2014 with a vision to incorporate fashion and innovation into healthwear solutions, striving to improve patient comfort and satisfaction while streamlining the treatment process for clinicians. We’ve been featured in press including the New York Times, Forbes, NPR, and on broadcast around the world. We were named the 4th fastest growing company in America by the Financial Times in 2022 (20th in America by Inc. Magazine in 2021).
We use a comprehensive design thinking approach, working in conjunction with the end users, clinicians and designers to create products that provide the highest quality, function and experience. We partner with a number of foundations and leagues, such as Stand Up 2 Cancer and MLB, and a portion of our profits is donated to our non-profit partners. We partner with brands like Oscar de la Renta and The Natori Company and schools such as Parsons School of Design. We work with a number of retailers, hospitals, leading medical distributors, and GPOs to distribute our products around the world.
We are looking for someone who is exceptionally thoughtful, detail-oriented, intellectually curious and brilliant to work directly with the CEO and management team. You will be the company’s finance leader and oversee all aspects of the financial model, P&L and balance sheet as well as serving as a key player in investor relations, board meetings and financings. You will design and implement budgeting, forecasting, establish policies that promote company culture and vision, oversee financial operations of the company and help us utilize data and analytics in all key decision-making, and thorough cost analysis. As the Head of Finance, you will drive results by proactively manage risk for the business and financing while helping to drive revenue for the company.
You will drive the Company’s efforts to position itself as a visionary leader and help develop the Brand in creating innovative healthwear. The ideal candidate will have strong personal accountability for results, strong commitment to teamwork in support of the company’s success, adherence to ethical business practices, and comfort operating in a start-up environment with an ability to prioritize and drive actions to closure.
- Oversee long-term financial planning and management in alignment with our strategic plan
- Serve as strategic partner to CEO: not just managing the coefficients of the business equation, but finding new impactful levers
- Manage the P&L, balance sheet, and (most importantly in early stages) cashflows. Serve as controller-in-chief, and help us to institute a strong financial know-how into our product, systems, and processes.
- Build out infrastructure, systems, and KPIs for accounting and overall operations with the goal of creating automation around existing manual processes
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information
- Assess organization performance against financial plans (both the annual budget and the company’s long-term needs and goals) and provide financial expertise to remediate identified deficiencies or shortfalls
- Oversee the preparation and implementation of annual budgets and ongoing budget performance reports so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; maintain a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs
- Own the P&L on a monthly and annual basis, with a strong emphasis on planning and analysis that enables cross-functional teams to maximize their work.
- Live and breathe cash management and optimize our working capital requirements
- Develop processes, information systems and tools to facilitate a highly efficient and effective analytical planning process
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with GAAP, regulatory requirements and any and all city, state, and federal requirements
- Oversee the preparation of all tax and regulatory filings, ensuring compliance with IRS and state regulations
- Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions
- Motivate and drive a high performance finance team: attract, recruit and retain required members of the team, providing mentoring as a cornerstone to a successful career at Care+Wear
- Serve as a “most valued partner” to cross-functional leadership including Founder & CEO. Establish best-in-class annual planning and financial strategy to ensure alignment across all functions
- Consistently research external macro trends in the industry and share insights with the team and leadership
- Establish company policies that promote company culture and vision
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the financial infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of our organization
- Rally teams around the company’s vision and direction by increasing the entire team’s awareness and comprehension of the financial strategy, plan, and P&L.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company
- Significant experience in consumer products, fashion and/or healthcare with a proven track record of excellence and leadership (required)
- 10+ years of experience overseeing finance (accounting, budgeting, control and reporting) with experience working in a high-growth environment
- Exceptional track record of developing and implementing financial strategies that have consistently met or exceeded planned objectives, providing personal leadership through example
- Demonstrated expertise in financial modeling, reporting, budgeting, forecasting and risk management
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results driven and team oriented environment
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Experience with companies selling both D2C and B2B
- Previous experience in investment banking / consulting / accounting (preferred)
- Pro-active self-starter with ability to drive analytics and problem solve independently, as well as manage multiple projects / deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Minimal travel as needed
- Unbelievably positive attitude
- A sense of humor
- Interview screen with the CEO
- Meet a few of your potential colleagues across the company
- A “challenge” assignment and presentation of your findings, which will give you a sense of the type of work you may be doing in this role and us a chance to see how you think
- Join the Care+Wear family!!
What is our in-office policy?
We embrace a hybrid work model that allows for 3 days in office, 2 days remote per week. With that in mind, we are looking for candidates that will be based full-time in/around NYC. We are an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Salary Expectations: $125,000-$180,000 + bonus + equity
How to Apply: Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate "Head of Finance" in the subject line.